Saturday 24 May 2014

up the lakes

We arrived yesterday to lovely weather- the scenery is breathtaking- we are off to Carlisle on the Coast Train today- I will hopefully add some photos when I get home. Not such a great day as after we had decided to visit the Museum I read the road map wrongly & we went the opposite way!!!

Next day very good, went to Sizergh Castle - beautiful grounds- Wool in theWoods exhibition of local knitting groups & schools, however battery run out on camera & only a few photos.        


The castle is very interesting with some beautiful lace work on a bed cover & exquisite embroidery in the bedrooms.

May was also a special month for children -50 things to do before you're 11 & 3/4 launch- I wish I either had children with me or I was a child, as there were super things to make- kites, bird or insect boxes or wooden creatures- I would have been in my element!!!

I did however slip in the rockery- luckily I did not fall in the pond- obviously a few spots of rain on limestone rocks do not mix, & even stout walking boots did not save the day- you could say a day of ups & downs!!

Our trip home was very good as on the Monday we decided to visit Stotts Bobbin Mill. What a revelation, I love the smell of wood & steam- the lady-boiler-looker-after?? said the smell reminded her of a Sauna.
I took a lot of photos there as I had recharged my batteries-literally!
I also managed to get a long strip of shaven wood(like you do!) with the idea of incorporating it into a wall hanging or something one day.





No comments: