Monday 12 January 2015

Show & Tell

Together with Caroline Percy & Marguerita McBride, I participated in a Show & Tell session at last Saturdays Embroiderers Guild Meeting at Parbold.

Caroline led the way, with a talk regarding her stitch life from the age of 9!!! She had a sample of her work, a drawing & lovely cross stitch pieces. Clever Old Stick!! She was aided by her daughter Lauren, who modelled a lovely Navy Blue evening dress which Caroline had made. Caroline also brought in a bridesmaids dress she had stitched & a 70's style short dress- she went on to discuss her start at EG & consequent foray into C&G Embroidery & Design, where we actually met & became friends.






Marguerita followed with loads of beautiful items of work, sketch books & boards with respect to her C&G's course. Very inspirational.

I finished off very hurridly regarding the link with some of my C&G work on Countries to Natural Progression's last exhibition at Alston Hall & Brabins on' Spirit of Place'

I explained how my research & consequent sketch books on India, Africa & Peru, helped me formalise my pieces for the exhibition.

I had actually forgotten how detailed & well presented I had made the sketch books- another life!!!

I pointed out how important it was to use the work we undertook at College & use it to inspire & formulate new work.



I also took in my shoes which were made in about my 4th year at College, as these had appeared on the advertising poster. They were based on Ariel the Windsinger, and one shoe was made using stainless steel fabric, and is light & airy with the wings opening up. The other shoe is black & sinister, made using layers of sheer fabric which has been heavily machine embroidered & the wings of the shoe come inwards. I used parts of an old fire heater to form the soles & heels- obviously not a practical pair of shoes!!!




Indian wall hanging- Light & Shade

The two wet felted Peruvian Wall hangings


African mixed media hanging

No comments: