Tuesday 6 January 2015

work in progress

I have been very busy attempting to make some pieces for our exhibition 'Art & Soul' which will be held at Samlesbury Hall next year-

I always like to have a head start, as you never know what life has to throw at you.

Luckily I have the basis of two pieces from my work at Quilting classes- not that I am a quilter, as I am not accurate enough & like to do my own thing!

One piece is based on a waterfall technique, which will be my large piece of work- I am adapting this to fit into work by a Japanese artist -Katsushika Hokusai & basing it on his work 'Crashing Wave'


My colours are very strong, which is how I like to work.


I still have a long way to go on this piece, with plenty more hours doing free motion embroidery on my trusty sewing machine!!!

Another piece is based on the work by Frida Kalo & will depict her mexican themes- using strong colours again. This is now finished & I have attached it to a canvas, which enables me to keep the ragged & unfinished edges.


Reverse applique, machine stitched & quilted with added beads.



I have also completed a piece in white only (completely different) based on the work by Mary Martin, who works in sculpteral ways.

hand quilted & based on Maggie Smith techniques.
I now have to complete the large waterfall quilt & start on my Aboriginal piece- loads to go for!!!

No comments: