Wednesday 25 February 2015

Turkey

Just back from Turkey. A great week looking at the highlights of the Aegean Coast- we visited Pergamon, Troy, Didyma, Milet and Priene. With Ephesus being the main feature- fantastic sights & plenty of photo opportunites.

Unfortunately Turkey was experiencing their coldest & wettest Winter ever, with temperatures not over 5 deg C most days- freezing & windy, so no suntan!!!

I was asked whether I was a rock expert, as I spent most of the time taking close ups of the patterns, colours & texture of stones. I think being told that I was a textile artist came as a bit of a shock to the poor man!!!

Anyway, atleast I have plenty of inspiration for the future.

giant cotton reels!


plants will grow anywhere

fantastic carvings

Stone carving from an Islamic Mosque-Isabey Mosque at Selcuk


                                Beautiful patterns on marble slabs at Temple of Artemis-Ephesus






I managed to escape the jewellery & leather outlets, but surcomed to the carpet factory- a very interesting weaving corporation- so John bought me a lovely wool on cotton  rug for the living room.


wool on wool carpet being finished



Examples of some of the carpets displayed on the walls.





winding the raw silk


The most expensive carpets are silk on silk, with wool on cotton & wool on wool as being cheaper.
Some of the silk carpets take 18 months to weave, hence the heavy price!

Hopefully my rug will last years & my Daughter will benefit from it when its passed on- not yet though!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you had a lovely time on holiday, the photos are great - lots of lovely inspirations. Look forward to seeing your new rug.xT