Friday 19 June 2015

German Holiday!!!

Hi all sorry for delay in posting news regarding our holiday-

Well the news is John only experienced 2 days & myself only 4 days, as John contracted pneumonia & ended up in a German Cardiology Hospital at Coswig for 11 days.

I left the riverboat at Dresden, to spend 2 nights in a hotel in Wittenburg. As the taxi journey cost 80 euros per day and John was struggling with the language barrier etc in hospital, it was decided that I joined him & stayed in the hospital.

It was a beautiful place, brilliant building & facilities, and excellent grounds.

When I finally conquered the German dinner menu, thanks to my trusty German/English dictionary, we settled into hospital life, with our diet including fresh fruit along with the bread, cheese & sausage. I had previously yearned for bread & cheese, but being on a perpetual diet could not partake, and now thanks to the German breakfast & tea I don't think I can look those delicacies in the eye for quite a while. maybe I will at last loose some weight!!!

I did manage to read 7 books on my kindle, but thankfully as I had taken a sketch book, paints & aqua brushes, I managed to paint some of the glorious wild flowers surrounding the hospital. Another bonus was seeing atleast two pairs of nesting Red Kites, and a stork flying directly overhead.

Our room was opposite the helicopter pad, and although it was sad that heart patients were being flown in, it was very exciting to see the landings- on one hot Saturday we saw 3 helicoptors landing, with 2 of them landing at the same time. Apparently the hot weather creates more heart attacks.

The few days of our holiday were very enjoyable, Berlin is a treasure & well worth another visit. We were both surprised at how Berlin & Potsdam were so well forested, with beautiful deep woods.

We had a few lovely visits to Palaces, gardens & towns- not bad for a few days holiday!!!
Berlin

Berlin



John standing against not sure where??? could be Check Point Charlie -Potsdam???


Typical German building!!!

Sanssouci Palace I think?


Worlitz 

on lake at Worlitz Park



Wittenberg


View from my room at Wittenberg

View from out hospital room of Helicopter pad

Woods surrounding the hospital-Coswig

My bed in the hospital- note the snazzy wardrobe & bedside table


Not sure of most of the photos -unfortunately the holiday seemed a long time ago & was before Hospital Gate.

No comments: