Friday 23 December 2016

Oriental Quilt

Hi well I have atlast completed my Oriental Quilt- the blocks have taken me 3 years, some traditional, but most are applique, embroidered or random.

I have used some recognisable blocks, eg Grandmothers Fan, but I also designed some myself eg
bridge and pagoda similar to a Willow Pattern, kettles and Kites.

The Trapunto blocks look really good, and I decided to use plain white or cream backgrounds, with a little hint of colour by using gold & green embroidery threads.

I was looking for a really random effect, as I dislike a set look. It was suggested that I surround each block with a black border, which would make the blocks pop and give the effect of a laquered screen.

I will never repeat the process again  as it was a complete nightmare, however I think the finished piece although certainly not perfectly stitched, looks pretty good and is in place on the bed in my guest room.





After Christmas I will take some photos of my best blocks which will show the details.

Hopefully this quilt will become a family heirloom!!!

No comments: