Sunday 9 August 2015

Further preparation for Skirmish

Well, low and behold I received the poster for the fair and it turns out that this year it will be based on The Jacobite Rebellion 1745- which is about 200 years after the Medieval period! Consequently my outfit is no good as completely the wrong period.

Back to the drawing board!!!!

Having done some research I came up with a few ideas- to keep costs down I have used one of my blouses from M&S but had to cut the collar off. I also found a black jacket in my wardrobe that with alteration would fit the bill nicely. Hence a Butcher Job again - off goes the collar and zip, the sleeves have been shortened & cuts made into the bottom edge. Voila a Jacobian jacket!!!. I did machine embroider around the slits which resulted in plenty of re -threading and replacement of broken needles, as the fabric is very tough. However I think the results are fairly good.

I made a quick journey to my local fabric shop for striped material for the skirt and cotton muslin for a petticoat.

The overall look is quite authentic or though my Grandaughter reckons I should wear a bonnet- not sure about that, but may try to knock one up later.

Photos below show outfit so far.


not the best model in the world!!!

back view -thats better! But maybe I should ditch the watch???

No comments: