Sunday 26 July 2015

Preparing for the Skirmish Craft Fair

Well I am well on the way making more items for the Skirmish Craft Fair at Samlesbury Hall 30th & 31st August. More details to follow on times etc.

Having visited the Lavender Fields, I came home with a supply of dried lavender. I had already purchased some strips of linen from the Woolfest with the intention of making some lavender bags for the fair.

I successfully made seven rather nice aromatic bags- pictured below;



The lavender sprays were made by free machine embroidering on cream egyptian cotton using cotton thread, these were then bonded to the front of each bag front using bond-a-web.I decided not to make normal seams as corners would be too bulky- preferring the more rustic method of leaving raw outer edges. Caroline is going to make some too.

I have made a few pairs of pulse warmers by adapting a knitting pattern, these are not particularly medieval, but slightly gothic- but you never know what might sell- Caroline has already nabbed a pair!!!

We both have to dress up in medieval clothing, and my dress is nearly finished- I used a dust cloth which I dyed olive green in the washing machine. I took my measurements (scary!!) and just cut it out by eye. I am really pleased with it so far- but need to make some detachable long sleeves- again a suck it and see job. I might make some sort of tabard, but will have to look at my medieval books for inspiration.

I will add some more photos later.

Here are the photos of my dress for the Skirmish fair, including the laced on long sleeves- what a nightmare as my tool for making eyelets & attaching them would not work on the fabric. So I had to resort to hand stitching- hopefully they will hold out & not fray.

The dress actually looks good on, but alas I have no one handy to take a photo- so a photo with the dress uninhabited will have to do.


close up of lacing


No comments: