Wednesday 8 July 2015

Batik By-Pass workshop

Hi I am suffering at the moment -just had a biopsy in my mouth- quite sore at the moment, but at least it's stopped me talking for a while!!!.

We had a great day yesterday at the Batik By-Pass workshop in Avant garden Centre, I had six students in the end- just the right number! It was the first time I had run this workshop- so it was a learning curve for me as well as the students- NB I must put the wax pots on earlier as they take quite a while to warm up- also don't bother taking sewing machines etc as not nearly enough time to get that far in one day.

However, it was a relaxing and stimulating day, with the students firstly making small samples really to get used to wielding the tjantings. Not an easy task!

We used Inktense Blocks, Koh-n-Noor & Dy-na-Flow to colour the fabric after or in fact before applying the wax with tjantings or brushes. This eliminates the use of dye vats, which makes it a very lengthy process. The colours achieved are beautiful, with Inktense being especially vivid, & Dye-na-Flow being more subdued.

I did muck up a wooden stamp trying to experiment, however the whole idea was to play & try ideas out- which in part was achieved. I also managed to get additional painted finger marks on Lyn's scarf & by putting Margaret's large silk piece on a very flimsy airer outside, which due to the strong wind  proceeded to fall gracefully into a bird bath with greenish water in. Luckily her scarf was mainly green- so she was not too bothered- added to the whole feel of the piece!!!

Two of the students started to make batik silk scarves, with varying results- as you can see below;

I cannot remember who made what, but you can see we produced some lovely pieces and the best part was everyone had fun!!!

Marguerita 

Ladies at play


Not sure what Margaret is doing?

silk scarf waxed & partially painted
 

Part of silk scarf with wax removed




Lyn's silk scarf painted with Dye-na-flow- very subtle in pale grey/mauve



looking very proud!




1 comment:

Mrs P said...

This all looks fantastic. Great colours. I love play days. Roll on retirement next year!