Friday 22 May 2015

Trip to Carnforth

Hi, me & my friend Chris decided to go on a train trip to Carnforth Station- the ultimate goal was to view the Arty Bird exhibition which was being held in the station heritage centre.

The weather was slightly iffy, as is British weather, so even though Mid May it felt like Winter, especially on the station platform in Preston, where we had to change trains for Carnforth. Good job I found my gloves in my jacket pocket!

As usual as soon as we arrived at our destination we decided to have lunch- we take 'ladies that lunch' to the extreme. As Carnforth town is very small, we found that Booths did a good warming soup & a sandwich- heaven!!! and for a change we did not have cake (we left that for later!)

I located a very old rambling book shop & as I normally do, bought three textile books for a grand total of £10.00 the lot- I will now have to read them all & find somewhere to put them- I do seem to have more books stashed away than our local library!!

After visiting a couple of charity shops & Chris spotting two new Viking luggage labels ( I am going on a Viking cruise at the end of next week) so very handy!!! We decided to hit the hot spots of Carnforth Station Heritage Centre.

What a treat, the station featured in the film 'Brief Encounter' so there was a room solely based on the film, with mementos & the film running- didn't we speak very beautifully then!!! There were also a few rooms showing the history of trains, WW2 & train posters etc.

After a good while searching we found the exhibition- beautiful felted & embroidered hangings & 3D objects- a real treat- well done ladies. I have included a few photos of the work , which I unfortunately did not note the artist against each piece- so I do apologise.
Sue Tyldesley's work

love this outfit

bag & lampshade

embroidered large piece

Then off to tea in the really atmospheric tea rooms- beautifully served on a tray, loose tea in a pot which obviously you need to pour using a tea strainer, and a large portion of apricot, sultana & ginger cake topped with cream icing. Blow the diet!!!

We then had to get 3 trains home, but had a very late dinner due mainly to the cake!!!
Good times.

No comments: